Our Natural Disaster: A Beautiful Side Effect Jenni Aguilar, California Just as our community (Santa Barbara, CA-area of SoCal) was coming back from the havoc wreaked by the largest fire in California history, just as we thought the worst had come and gone…rain. A lot of rain. A ‘200-year rain event’, which means inches of rain in minutes. The rain, which was nowhere to be found while the flames ripped through our hills (thanks Mother Nature!), made a short but devastating appearance on January 9th. We have no words for the horror and the loss (23 lives, more injured, hundreds...Read More
Month: April 2018
Posted by Adam Hansen | Apr 12, 2018
The Legacy of Vance Music and Beal’s Law Adam Hansen, New York While working on my MBA at Indiana University back in the Cambrian Period (vertebrates had just emerged – wild times!), I was fortunate to be a manager at Vance music store, headquartered in Bloomington. A second store 30 minutes south of the Bloomington flagship, in Bedford, was the site of perhaps more impromptu jams than big-ticket sales, as weeknights in Bedford, Indiana were, y’know, slow. One of our sales guys was a wonderful, kind-hearted cat named Tug Beal, native son of Bedford proper and about 15 years...Read More
- Ep 351 - Found in Translation: Magdalena Edwards May 21, 2018Magdalena Edwards is Bryan Callen's neighbor. She's also a translator.
- Ep 350 - Modern Maori: Te Miri Rangi May 18, 2018Te Miri Rangi is a Maori from New Zealand who instituted a program known as Whakapapa Fridays as an outreach to young people to instill a connection with their roots. Be sure to go to https://mixedmentalarts.online/, support us on Patreon, use our Amazon affiliate, and follow us on social media!
- Ep 349 - The Knowledge Frontier: Cesar Hidalgo May 14, 2018Cesar Hidalgo is the directer of the Collective Learning Group at the MIT media lab,. His book Why Information Grows combines physics and economics to give a new take on economic growth in the 21st century. Be sure to go to https://mixedmentalarts.online/, support us on Patreon, use our Amazon affiliate, and follow us on social media!
- Ep 348 - Con Body: Coss Marte May 9, 2018Coss Marte did 4 years in state prison for drug trafficking. While in prison, he became interested in physical training. Now he runs a fitness studio in New York where he hires former inmates and trains people on how to improve their fitness. He's literally turning lives around.
- Idea Quickie 8: Way Back with Big Mike (Repost) May 9, 2018From June, 2014 Bryan and Big Mike talked about everything from the History of Western Philosophy, to capital punishment in Saudi Arabia. Be sure to follow us on social media and check out our Patreon!