How An Unfinished Book Was Pieced Together To Make Kintsugi In 2006, Michelle McNamara started the website True Crime Diary with the goal of crowdsourcing cold cases. As the About page states, “True Crime Diary began when Michelle McNamara, a writer, decided the investigating she was doing on unsolved crimes to satisfy her own curiosity might be better shared.” Michelle eventually became obsessed with a series of unsolved rapes and murders across California from 1976-1986. The man she called “The Golden State Killer” had never been caught. She spent 5 years obsessing over the horrific case; running down every...Read More
Month: May 2018
Posted by Cate Fogarty | May 15, 2018
“How Esther Perel Teaches People to Make Kintsugi in Their Relationships” Esther Perel is a psychotherapist who says she “enjoy[s] explaining the mysteries of the human condition in simple words. [She likes] to help people all over the world feel understood, confront their joys and pains, and be motivated to change.” In Mixed Mental Arts’ terminology, Esther teaches people to make kintsugi out of their experiences and relationships through the act of reframing. On her podcast “Where Should We Begin” many couples come to her with one story that isn’t working and her goal is to help them find the possibility of...Read More
Posted by Darryl Canfield | May 9, 2018
Show Notes: 2:00 Fundraising and empty promises. 3:00 In order to be a congressmen, you have to beg rich people for money for 2-4 hours every day. 4:00 The subtlety of K Street bribery. 6:30 The consequences of being a principled politician. 10:00 The politics of resignation: 96% of Americans think it’s important to reduce the influence of money in politics, but 92% don’t think it’s possible. 11:00 Crony capitalism, privatized gains, and socialized losses. 13:00 Our politicians are telemarketers. 14:00 Gerrymandering: We don’t pick our representatives, they pick us. 15:00 Winner take all politics. 16:00 In 2016, 14...Read More
Posted by Cate Fogarty | May 7, 2018
“How Maria Bamford Makes Kintsugi out of her Mental Illness to Create Comedy and Find Love” Comedian Maria Bamford has struggled with mental health issues her entire life, including OCD, bulimia, and bipolar disorder. But after a severe mental breakdown in 2010, which landed her repeatedly in mental wards, she feared that she’d never work again, let alone have a “normal” life. But with the help of medication, therapy, and the love and support of friends and family she was able to rebuild her life. In 2013, Maria met Mitch Hurwitz who helped her develop the quirky Netflix...Read More
Posted by Darryl Canfield | May 5, 2018
Show Notes: 3:30 The fight club effect. 4:30 Monstrous people are dealing with something far more monstrous than themselves. 9:00 Pragmatic moral relativism. 14:00 The origin story. 16:00 Finding the group and the right relationships. 18:00 It takes 10 years to be an overnight success. 22:00 Writing as a form of therapy. 26:00 Bridging the cultural divide. 32:00 Community support and sending the right messages to children. 36:00 Cultural Narratives and how they are internalized. 37:00 Demystifying the other. 38:00 The white guy braided black belt. 42:00 Shame is the route of so many problems. 48:00 How social media...Read More
- Ep 351 - Found in Translation: Magdalena Edwards May 21, 2018Magdalena Edwards is Bryan Callen's neighbor. She's also a translator.
- Ep 350 - Modern Maori: Te Miri Rangi May 18, 2018Te Miri Rangi is a Maori from New Zealand who instituted a program known as Whakapapa Fridays as an outreach to young people to instill a connection with their roots. Be sure to go to https://mixedmentalarts.online/, support us on Patreon, use our Amazon affiliate, and follow us on social media!
- Ep 349 - The Knowledge Frontier: Cesar Hidalgo May 14, 2018Cesar Hidalgo is the directer of the Collective Learning Group at the MIT media lab,. His book Why Information Grows combines physics and economics to give a new take on economic growth in the 21st century. Be sure to go to https://mixedmentalarts.online/, support us on Patreon, use our Amazon affiliate, and follow us on social media!
- Ep 348 - Con Body: Coss Marte May 9, 2018Coss Marte did 4 years in state prison for drug trafficking. While in prison, he became interested in physical training. Now he runs a fitness studio in New York where he hires former inmates and trains people on how to improve their fitness. He's literally turning lives around.
- Idea Quickie 8: Way Back with Big Mike (Repost) May 9, 2018From June, 2014 Bryan and Big Mike talked about everything from the History of Western Philosophy, to capital punishment in Saudi Arabia. Be sure to follow us on social media and check out our Patreon!